Thursday, September 10, 2009

Is Christ My Treasure??



"Oh, how many lives are wasted by people who believe that the Christian life means simply avoiding badness and providing for the family. So there is no adultery, no stealing, no killing, no embezzlement, no fraud - just lots of hard work during the day, and lots of TV and PG-13 videos in the evening (during quality family time), and lots of fun stuff on the weekend - woven around church (mostly). This is life for millions of people. Wasted life. We were created for more, far more.
There is an old saying: "No man ever lamented on his dying bed, 'I wish i had spent more time at the office." The point being made is usually that when you are about to die, money suddenly looks like what it really is, useless for lasting happiness, while relationships become precious. Its true. When my mother was killed in 1974, I wrote to the chairman of my department at Bethel College, where i was teaching, and reversed my request to teach an overload the next semester to make more money. Standing beside your mother's grave with a wife and child makes things look different. Money loses its pull.

But that saying about spending less time at the office can be misleading. We need to add this:
No one will ever want to say to the Lord of the universe five minutes after death, I spent every night playing games and watching clean TV with my family because I loved them so much. I think the Lord will say, "That did not make me look like a treasure in your town. You should have done something besides provide for yourself and your family. And TV, as you should have known, was not a good way to nurture your family or your own soul."

Television is one of the greatest life-wasters of the modern age. And, of course, the Internet is running to catch up, and may have caught up. You can be more selective on the internet, but you can also select worse things with only the Judge of the universe watching. TV still reigns as the great life-waster. The main problem with TV is not how much smut is available, though that is a problem. Just the ads are enough to sow fertile seeds of greed and lust, no matter what program you're watching. The greater problem is banality. A mind fed daily on TV diminishes. Your mind was made to know and love God. Its facility for this great calling is ruined by excessive TV. The content is so trivial and so shallow that the capacity of the mind to think worthy thoughts withers, and the capacity of the heart to feel deep emotions shrivels."

from "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper. I love this book!!

There was something special about tamarack '09, perhaps the most spiritually encouraging week of my life!! Kevin and i were so honoured and blessed to be a part of it. We praise God for answering the prayers of His people and for His mighty work in the lives of those who attended. we pray that the things learned at camp this year will not be quickly forgotten but will be applied to our hearts and lives so that we really will be storing up treasures in heaven. To God be the glory!! :)

"do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where theives break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where theives do not break in and steal, for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matt 6:19-20 aaaah, what good times...really great food all week, amazing friends & rich spiritual encouragement!! the campers were so good we didn't even feel like we were chaperoning. We thank God for such incredible blessings experienced at Camp Tamarack this year!! :)
we are so thankful for these men, our speakers!! God used them in a powerful way and it was amazing to see. To God be the glory! i was really spoiled in terms of cake this year. :) the cooks made me a cake at tamarack, my mom made 5 large cakes for the 200 people at dinner, and Kev brought my favourite mousse cake home to have with the kids the weekend before. A special thanks to my dear mama, how she managed to bake for a wedding the weekend before camp, bake 5 large cakes for camp and cook dinner for 110 on Friday AND watch my 3 kids all week while doing everything else....its like superhuman and its beyond me where she gets the energy!! :)
haha, this was Louise's mascot, kev we trying it out for size :) ..good job Lou!!

any of you not on facebook interested in seeing the rest of my camp pics click http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=311318&id=748065376&l=62451e406c (I think that will work?)

and of Ashleigh's soccer

have a great weekend everyone!! :)

6 comments:

Daniel and Joyce said...

Oh Carole, thank you again for another thoughtful post. I was all set to write down what book you quoted from so I could read it myself, until I got to the paragraph about our minds being made to know and love God and then I remembered I already have it, and have read it!! My point in saying that is, since all the rest of it remained unfamiliar and very convicting, apparently I should read it again? :) I think so.

I'm so grateful to God to hear how good Tamarack was this year! He reveals His complete faithfulness when year after year the Spirit works so mightily. It was good to be there on Wednesday and to have a taste of it and the enthusiasm from campers and chaps is spilling over and catching like wildfire!! Thinking of treasures in Heaven.....

Holly said...

Carole, I'm so glad to hear that that you had such a great time at Tamarack! What a great way to spend your birthday, eh? What a blessing to spend a week in such a beautiful place, growing in your love for the Lord. The picture of you four girls is stunning! : )

Sharon said...

That is a great quote! It really fits in with what the week was all about. I wish I read it before I did my work shop because it would have fit in with that as well. And he said it much better then I did!
It was wonderful to be there with you guys! We miss you!

Rachel Joy said...

Lovely pictures again, Carole! Such cute ones of your little boys. We're also enjoying the book by Piper and looking forward to starting up our study again!(hopefully soon?)
Of all the crazy things, I recollect you mentioning your birthday but I don't recollect ever actually saying, "happy birthday!" But it sounds like it was a really momentous one for you, anyways!
Thanks for coming over for the games night even after your busy week - we'll have to do that again!

Trish said...

Happy Belated Birthday Carole!!! :)

Marguerite said...

Thanks Carole for your posts! I've much appreciated Piper's books (& sermons especially) for years and and was very glad to hear his concern for the wasting of time with TV,news,internet... even so called "family content" which is so acceptable in Christian circles. There are so many more worthwhile ways to spend our time and energy and get involved in other people's lives for their good and His glory. Life is so short. We need to be reminded to keep an eternal perspective -and what that means practically.
This is the kind of internet use that is worthwhile/valuable... Tx!