Monday, November 15, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I first had this one crisp morning in the Highlands of Scotland, baked to perfection by our dear friend Lucy. Speaking of whom, we met up with them for dinner last week (in Cambridge, ONtario, not Scotland) and it was so wonderful to see them again, I will try to post pics of that soon. Theirs was hospitality to perfection, I think of their home and I think soooo COZY and welcoming. When we got home, I searched online for a baked oatmeal recipe and have been happy with this one (which, btw, I found off of a blog called the Nourishing Gourmet http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/
by Kimi Harris).

Baked oatmeal is SOOOO yummy. (If its done properly...unfortunately I have messed it up a few times and I am not even sure what I did wrong. I tell you this just in case yours does not turn out properly :) ). Not only does it bring back fond memories of Scotland and our friends across the ocean, it tastes amazing and is healthy to boot!! I`m sure you are all dying to try it out so here`s the recipe. :)

2 1/2 cups oats
1 3/4 cups buttermilk (I use milk and lemon juice, even rice or almond milk and lemon juice)
1/2 cup coconut oil (or OLIVE oil if you wish)
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar, maple syrup or honey (I have only used honey or rice syrup, and IMO it is sweet enough that way)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups raisins (I have never used them)
2 cups chopped apples or pears
2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

Soak oats and buttermilk covered on the kitchen counter overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat oil, sugar and eggs until glossy. Add baking powder, salt, cinnamon and vanilla, beat. Stir in oats, raisins and chopped apples. Pour into 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle nuts on top. Bake for 20 minutes (says the recipe, I always find it needs at least a half an hour but I think that might be just my oven)

YUM!

let me know if you like it. :)

7 comments:

Sharon said...

We love it! And BTW I just use olive oil. :)

Carole said...

OOPS thats what I meant, not almond oil. :)

Rachel said...

Love your baked oatmeal Carole!

Dauna said...

I'll try it next week.

Charlene said...

Carole, I made it this week and followed your recipe exactly (using olive oil and substituting milk/lemon juice for buttermilk) and it was smashing! I'm still enjoying the leftovers from it and hoping what I freezed (i should've halved it -- a 9x13 dish is just way too big for 2 ppl :)) still tastes good the next time I pull it out.

Thanks for introducing me to this breakfast! It brought back some sweet memories of eating breakie with you and the kids! Such fun times!

anonymouse :) said...

Sounds Yummy!!! I can't wait to try this out! We had been looking for one as I sometimes experiment with making my own recipe.
Was thinking of you this week...isn't it time for a winter visit to Vt?! You need to see all the seasons!!!
Sarah

Dauna said...

I still haven't tried it, but I plan to. I always have lots of oatmeal bumming around, and I am SURE my kids would love it!