Saturday, December 20, 2008

welcome.

whats this, you say, but a humble little entrance way?? Well you're right, it is nothing special, except that you understand how far we've come. First of all, hats off to two men that all of us around here just adore: (1) Mr. S., designer of this fabulous project without whom I know we wouldn't have started the whole thing (and Mrs. S. for just being plain wonderful :) )
and (2) Erik, implementer of the fabulous plan, without whom we wouldn't have started or finished. well, its not quite finished yet but close enough for now.
It all started as a little thought in my head as Kev and I tried to plan our future a bit - whether to continue to settle here or to look into buying our own place...but how could we think of leaving?? Life is way too good here. :) And so we looked into making things work out a bit better. We've gained a front entrance and another bedroom (with en suite) and used one of the existing bedrooms for a playroom, so we've sort of gained that too. (we still only use 3 rooms for bedrooms). So here it all starts, last summer, with plans to re-do the deck that Dad & Opa lovingly built 20 years ago. It served us well for many years but was a bit narrow (for Mom's purposes, we all know that she is fond of entertaining crowds :) ) and a few too many people had the unfortunate experience of slivers lodged in their backside as a result of trying to squeeze past along the railing. haha. :)




As you can see, it was past its prime. :) what an eyesore. And so we re-did part of the deck, and left the other part with plans to add on a small entrance room. Which we started this fall and hopefully will finish someday!! You are probably still not impressed but the pictures will tell the story (i am never one to stop and take pictures mid-project, thankfully kev pulled out the camera b/c i do like to look back and be reminded of how far we've come :) ) What a disaster it was!!! and how i hate living in a disaster.
Although its worth it now. :)












Mike B. was Erik's framing partner, and the two of them made a winning combination. :) I must mention that this went from nothing but the cement foundation to framed in (with windows and doors installed) in little over a 24 hour day. They are supermen. (and Kevin, the trusty assistant of course!!)


a little geeky at times. And Erik got a birthday cake out of the deal. (sort of, it was actually more for me than for him i think. this is my favourite cake)



and so, it is certainly coming along. we have many others to thank also...Matty R., Pastor Rich B., Dad VD, Steve VD, Mr. V., Rob, Tim, Michele (for hours & hours of painting into the wee hours) Heritage Carpentry & crew... and of course my dear husband put in countless hours - drywall, drywall, drywall. (on top of everything else) Thanks so much, I love you all!!

9 comments:

skittles said...

wow! i have not been over in a LONG time!!!! it looks amazing!

Steve and Jo said...

What a great work of art:) It looks so cozy and inviting, and boy, I would love to have those closets!! You guys did a great job, and I just love Uncle Klaas's designs. I am so happy for you guys that it is done. Oh, and that mess brings so many crazy memories to me of renovating. It is the messiest business, but it was well worth it.

Joyce Wassink said...

Wow Carole! I can't wait to come over there and see it in person! It looks beautiful.
Can't wait to see you and your family especially :)
Love,
Joyce

Jennifer said...

Carol (and Kev) it looks great! I'm still trying to figure out where everything is placed, but how nice to have such a big entrance to your home and a new deck for mom!

Sharon said...

Thanks for posting so many pictures! I have been eager to see how it looks with the new addition-and it looks great. I am sure that you are really enjoying the extra room. When we buy another house I would love to have a large entranceway! We will have to wait and see where and when the Lord provides for our family. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful Carole! What a blessing to have such great handymen! We are in the midst of working on a mudroom (much needed on a farm- with 4 boys!!!)and its hard to have patience when the need seems to be now! Looks great and I too am envious about the closets...I love lots of space for shoes and coats! Sarah Barnes

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks great Carole! I can't really figure out how it all works together either, but it's very nicely done. I'm glad to hear you guys are planning to stay there longer too :)

Dauna said...

it looks so different! I like it a lot...Kev you are awesome...now if you can just pencil in time to transform my house (I am totally kidding!)...but you did a fab job!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks amazing!!! I love the board and batten look. The whole thing looks so cozy and inviting! How nice for you to have such a big mudroom, and an ensuite off your bedroom too (I'm assuming that's your new room?). Enjoy it!