Monday, August 24, 2009
on a lighter note, last week there was also TENNIS
so also last week we had the unique privilege of hosting a pro tennis player while she competed in the Rogers Cup at York U. I know, how strange...i still don't completely understand how it all fell into place that way (and haha, the guys at kev's work never believed him when he told them :) ). It all started with Anita H., recommending our place to a friend of hers...so Anita, if you are reading this: we have you to thank for all of the ROgers Cup we took in last week!! Meet Mariya, coming from the Ukraine to compete in Cincinnati, then in Toronto, and now in New York. The kids loved her.
So our first taste of the Rogers Cup was Thursday afternoon. Ashleigh, Jades & I headed out under bright sunny skies (wow did they darken later that afternoon when the tornado hit!!) to take in a few matches. Our first one was this one between Elena Dementieva and Shahar Peer. Dementieva went on to win that match, and eventually today she won the Rogers Cup!! The funny thing is after she won she autographed a few balls to lob into the crowd. One came directly towards us, landed just behind us and then bounced back down toward us. I could have easily grabbed it but was too chicken. Ashleigh was not impressed. of course if i had known she would go on to win the cup i might have tried a little harder and risked looking clumsy or falling down a few rows of the bleachers. oh well. :)




and then with much pomp and circumstance in came Serena Williams. It was amazing to watch her play!! She played against one of the Bondarenko sisters, who are also from the Ukraine.







the kids loved to watch. Jaden was even appropriately hushed so that we didn't get booted!! His former ambition had been to be a "digger" or a "firefighter" or a "worker"...that afternoon it changed to "a tennis guy" and kept asking me when he could go down and play with those girls. I had to break it to him that they were a little out of his league. :)


Serena went on to win, but later lost to Dementieva.

THe last match we saw on Thursday was the other Bondarenko sister (who had previously beaten the other Williams sister). Then Kev & I & Eli & Dauna & Steve & Amy went again on Friday night, it was good times!! So thanks Krista and Mariya for the tickets. in this household there is a renewed interest in tennis (and if Mariya ever plays in Toronto again, I will try my utmost to be there cheering!!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Carole, I had no idea you'd get to meet actual players and watch! How fun! Thank you for showing so much kind hospitality. And I'll have to ask Krista how this all came about, because I am equally confused and surprised, I thought it was just Krista staying with your mom :-)
How awesome is that!!! I'm sure you won't ever forget that:)
Wow! What a neat experience for you guys!
Post a Comment