Sunday, August 16, 2009

thoughts on beginning and ending your day

Exerpts from CJ Mahaney's Humilty~True Greatness, I highly recommend it!!

Begin your day by acknowledging your dependence upon God and your need for God. This is simply a strategy for taking control of the thoughts we allow in our mind. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: “Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?”

Begin your day expressing gratitude to God.
Michael Ramsey: “Thankfulness is a soil in which pride does not easily grow.”
It was said of Matthew Henry that “he was an alert and thankful observer of answered prayer.” If you crossed his path you would quickly realize that her was someone taking thankful notice of all God was doing for him, and doing so in an attractively joyful way that was infectious.
What would happen if someone crossed my path tomorrow morning?? Am I a thankful observer of the countless indications of His provision, His presence, His kindness and His grace??
An ungrateful person is a proud person.
Let each of us recognize every day that whatever grace we receive from God is so much more than we’re worthy of, and indescribably better than the hell we all deserve.


The end of each day offers us a unique opportunity to cultivate humility and weaken pride, as well as to sense God’s pleasure. How?? By reviewing our day and carefully assigning all glory to God for the grace we’ve experienced that day.
“when we have done anything praiseworthy, we must hide ourselves under the veil of humility, and transfer the glory of all we have done to God.” ie. if people compliment you for your effective parenting (i'm afraid compliments of this nature especially will not come from those sitting behind us in church these days...:( But the odd time my kids have behaved well to earn praise for me...), do I transfer the glory to Him? Recognize that though you’re a means of grace to your children, you can’t in and of yourself transform your children – only God can. And as He does, only He gets the glory.”

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Good stuff! I can see you are working on your workshop?? I wish I could come to it! Looking forward to seeing you soon.