Thursday, July 26, 2012

aaannd...Jade's promising soccer season comes to a quick, painful end!! :(

what a night we have had!  little did we know that Jaden's goal of Monday night (did you see the last post? :) )  would be his last of the season, and that would be the last game of the summer!  As I mentioned in the last post, he LOVES soccer.  He is always kicking the ball around, and when we go to watch Ashleigh play on Wednesday nights he brings his ball to kick around on the sidelines with Josh.  He was doing that behind us, while we were watching this evening.  Suddenly I heard him cry, the kind of cry that you know as a parent is something serious.  I ran over, and as soon as I saw it I started screaming.  warning, this is kind of gross.  I couldn't handle it, anyways (although thats not necessarily saying much).  He was impaled by a stake (supposed to be underground, holding in a new tree) in one side of his foot and out the other.  He was totally stuck to the ground.  Kev came running, and a lot of other parents.  One take charge person yelled to call 911, the games stopped.  Parents herded me away, I think they were afraid I would go into labour or something (as a side note, this is not surprising.  its not my imagination, I really am that huge that people are thinking I am due anyday!! yikes.)  Parents were running from field to field looking for nurses.  The take charge man designated people to run to the road to flag the police and ambulance.  While I am completely useless in a crisis, I stood amazed at the way people come together to care for others.  People were SO kind to us!  Four police cars came and then the ambulance.  Jade had stopped crying and was being such a superstar.  The police cut the stake from the ground and the paramedics loaded him onto a stretcher.  He and I took our first ever ambulance ride to the hospital and I was thinking...I feel like this is traumatic, how must parents feel whose kids are dying from their injuries or sicknesses?  What a powerful reminder.  And also, it reminded me of the nails (big nails) that were driven through the hands and feet of Jesus...and how while Jade was receiving nothing but love and care and attention, Christ suffered rejection and hatred and ridicule.  How horribly he must have suffered.  I need reminders like this.   

Anyways, at the hospital, Jade continued to handle things like a pro-star, getting lots of attention from paramedics and hospital staff.  It was really quite gross to look at, and his paramedic said he expected treatment to be fairly quick - b/c of the grossness of it, and b/c of the cuteness factor of Jade.  :)  We arrived at the hospital at about 8, and I think by 9:00 he was being put to sleep so that they could remove it and clean the wound.  As he was waking up, he had 3 different police officers come to visit him and bring him gifts.  They offered him a tour of the police station when he would like to come. :)  Unfortunately Jade was still a little groggy and wasn't responding much to them although he remembers them being there.  They have the area at the fields sealed off with police tape, and we are supposed to come in to the police station so that they can take pictures of his foot and finish their report.  By the way, a highlight for Josh was after we had left in the ambulance a police officer took him over to check out the inside of his car, although he was under strict instructions not to touch anything. :)  Josh was hesitant to go inside the car though for fear there might be "wobbers" lurking in the back seat.  haha.  

So, after Jade was awake he had to go for xrays, which seem to show that it missed all of the little bones in his foot - they say he is very lucky.  We are so thankful!!  He is on antibiotics to prevent infection, and has to see his doctor tomorrow for another tetanus shot, and an orthopedic specialist on Monday to make sure there should be no lasting damage.  He is done soccer for the summer, and swimming too (he is in the middle of a month of lessons every day).  He loves all these things, but he is taking everything like such a trooper.  Allow me to just say I was so proud to be the mom of this sweet little tender hearted but tough little guy.  We all can't wait to treat him like a king for the next while.  :)  He is only still 5, but really appreciates the kindness of all the people who helped him - he kept saying "I can't believe the police were so kind to me and gave me so much stuff" and he wants to send the take-charge man a card to thank him (the guy gave Kev his card so we will have to thank him somehow). :) 

That was our night...one never knows what a day will bring.  thanks to Jill for coming to help me pick up Kev's truck from the fields and then babysitting the kids until late so that I could go pick them up from the hospital...all in the wild thunderstorm no less!  We are thankful to God for so many blessings this evening, and deeply reminded to pray for those for whom hospitals, doctors, nurses, pain - are part of their everyday life.  We are so blessed and I know we totally take it for granted.  

Above all, thankful to Jesus for all that He did for us on Calvary.  What a Saviour!!

Hoping the rest of your summer and ours is drama free!!

9 comments:

Steve said...

Dear Jade, Uncle Steve & Amy are so grateful to God for taking care of you! I can't imagine how painful it was for you. We will pray you grow strong again quickly! I guess you can be thankful for all the new cool friends you have now eh? :)

Carole, its hard to know whether to laugh, cry, moan or sing as I read! What a story! Praise God things are looking so hopeful.

Love Steve & Amy

Belinda said...

Oh Carole, I am so thankful that there will be no permanent damage to his foot. What a blessing. God is truly gracious.

Maybe Jade will remember this in the future, when he is pain free as kind of a neat day? Does that sounds nuts? (o; An ambulance ride and all those policeman kind of makes it sound like an adventure! (o;

Thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

Dear Jade,

Wow! What a big and painful adventure to go through! Its great to hear how brave you are and how God has taken of you through all these helpful people! We will pray for you and look forward to seeing you on your birthday!

Love Uncle Ralph & Aunt Sharon

Steve and Jo said...

Wow, that is quite the thing!! I can't imagine what you were thinking when you saw him. What a brave little guy though! So thankful that you didn't go into labor:) Although, I have to admit, I did have a bit of a laugh thinking of all the parents herding you away:) Looking forward to seeing that brave little guy at his party:)

Carole said...

Jade is LOVING the comments & emails, thanks for caring!!

Belinda, you were one of the ones on my mind throughout this whole thing. God must give grace, else how could one handle it?

He seemed to be doing worse this morning but is doing really well tonight. :) no signs of infection. THanks for your comments!!

Mom & Dad said...

So thankful to hear that it missed all his little bones. We will be praying that there is no infection.
God uses these things to remind us of so many things. Thanks for sharing all the things that He helped you to see when so often we just see our own pain and not His work thru these providences.
Miss you all.
Love, Klaas and Ann

KennyDL said...

Dear Jaden I hope that you feel better soon, I am praying for you Jaden you are very brave

Maria said...

Carole, that is just terrible. Makes you feel a little ill, doesn't it? But so thankful for health care and caring friends and family as well. Thanks for writing, and I hope Jaden continues to heal well! Is he hobbling around on it a little, or is he supposed to keep off his foot for some time?

Taunya said...

Oh Wow. what a nasty thing to happen. I'm afraid I would have reacted the same way as you Carole. So glad you had help and a willing sitter.
I love the sparkle in his eyes in all the pictures. Hope the infection is under control.