Sunday, June 20, 2010

beautiful Brugge

We are here in Brugge, Belgium. I will skip right over Luxembourg for now since that was not my favourite place to be!! Nothing in particular, I just didn't really like it. Maybe it was that I had to adjust to the language barrier, or maybe it was that a lot of the French-speaking people we ran into there were quite rude, or maybe (probably?) I was just grouchy (sinful) and missing my kids...or something. One nice thing about it was all the gorgeous roses everywhere! Anyways, I was happy to be out of there and on to Brugge which is noticeably friendlier and so beautiful.
We missed Sunday worship today. Last weekend was so wonderful to fellowship with believers in Scotland. There was not an English speaking church for us to attend today (that we could find, anyway) and so today was strange for a Sunday. We listened to sermons, and did a lot of reading and walking around. So at least it was restful. But I look forward to touring some more tomorrow, and I am really looking forward to Holland and seeing family there. And thats our last stop before we are reunited with the kids again, God willing on Saturday. I CANNOT WAIT!! I feel guilty relaxing and reading so much when that is my momès favourite thing to do and she canèt (why does my computer do this sometimesÉ) cannot read barely a word these days. I am sorry mom!! I cannot wait to come back and clean your house for you while you sit on the couch and read!! (now that Iève said that for the world to read, i had better do it too! AFTER I read to the kids and take them to the park :) )
I had planned to put some words from the book I am reading (the biography of John and Betty Stam, excellent - one of the books I got from Christian Focus!) but it is upstairs right now and I am 3 floors down in the lobby here...so maybe I will do that later. And after this, I am off to call the kiddies! I have been waiting until they would be home from church. :)
Here is Kev checking out our room at the B&B. I don't think the service could get any better...she picked us up from the train station yesterday, pointed out all the sights to see in Brugge, makes three different types of homemade bread from scratch (none are regular white) every morning PLUS croissants and all the other typical breakfast fare, insisted on ironing Kevin's shirt herself (!!! that is the one that really impressed me) and is just a really nice person!!

this is the front of the B&B
and the street it is on.






haha!! I would certainly have taken the regular bikes!!





I don't mean for this to be obnoxious, but I find it boring to stand and smile for a camera. Apparently I can't manage to make this seem authenticly romantic, though...even in Brugge













Kevin gently suggested that I am taking too many pictures of flowers. :) He is probably right, but I can't resist them!! How are my flowers doing at home, Ashleigh??














you might think it looks like i am always dressed the same. Its because I am!! And if you hadn't noticed that yet, you will if I ever blog the rest of the pictures of this trip. I did not pack properly at all!! It is so COLD here!! my two hoodies and two pairs of jeans are getting lots of wear. although, it flashes between cold and hot and rainy and sunny. But in Brugge this weekend it has been unseasonably cold and every time we step out it seems to start to rain. :) We can't complain though, since we had great weather for the rest of the trip until this weekend. Besides, the book I am reading used the weather (how we respond when we don't like it) as one of its first examples of how we teach our children (through our everyday talk) what we think of God and His control over the world. Its a great book! (this is a parenting book, not the John and Betty Stam one)

Wishing you all a wonderful week! How are you, anywaysÉÉ (that is supposed to be a question mark) :)


7 comments:

Anita said...

I'm loving all your travel posts, Carole! I think I might 'need' a trip like yours with my hubby. :-)And, I have to somewhat disagree with Kevin...you can never have too many flower pictures!

Dauna said...

(shopping)

I'll comment more later. I am busy today.

Sharon said...

Wow!!! You are seeing so many beautiful places! What an exciting trip for you both. I was amazed at how cold it looks! We are roasting here right now.
We just came home tonight from our trip. It was really great, but we are ready to take up our work again. We have to be out of this house in a week!
I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday and please come visit us again soon-although I guess it will have to wait until we have a home to invite you to...:)
Love you!

Lucy van Eyk said...

. . . patiently waiting for what comes next!!

Dauna said...

Um...Carole, more blog posts! The only acceptable answer is that you have no internet access. Just kidding. hope the rest of your trip has been great.

Holly said...

Hi Carole! I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip so much! I hope you are still checking comments on these older posts, as I hadn't checked for awhile, and am getting caught up! Such beautiful places...gorgeous flowers (LOVED the hydrangeas...my favourite flower!), romantic moments : ), etc. I look forward to hearing all about it in person!

amymom24 said...

You can NEVER have too many flower photos:)

Brugge looks beautiful, and you captured it beautifully.